My Week in Training – Week 16

Date Miles Time Type Avg Speed (MPH) Links
Tue, 19th Apr 2011 25 1:34:03 Road 16.4 Strava – Garmin
Thu, 21st Apr 2011 25 1:36:01 Road 16.0 Strava – Garmin
Fri, 22nd Apr 2011 64 3:40:12 Road 17.5 Strava Garmin
Sun, 24th Apr 2011 65 3:29:04 Road 18.7 Strava – Garmin

After Sunday’s Sportive, my legs were quite tired and so I took a day off. Unfortunately, I didn’t really load up that well on Carbs which showed on Tuesday’s Brighton commute.

Also on Tuesday, my Garmin Edge 305’s screen broke. The LCD screen was leaking but still worked as only a small part of the display was obscured. I contacted Garmin who said that this type of damage wasn’t covered on the warranty but that they had a unit replacement system in place. Basically, for £69, I could return my broken unit and they would send me a refurbished unit as a replacement. The turn around is apparently 7 to 10 days so, as it is actually working, I’ll wait until next week to sort this out as, on Sunday, I have a Sportive where the Garmin will be indispensable for following the route.

I took another day off the bike on Wednesday and did another Brighton commute on Thursday. Even though I made sure that I had eaten well on Tuesday and Wednesday, I still found it a struggle on Thursday. It might have just been due to the headwind which, on a coastal road, is full on, without any shelter but I just felt as though I didn’t have that much energy. It may also be due to the fact that I am actually tired as a consequence of having to get up for work at 4:10am every morning. Still, 4 days off now so should be able to test this theory over these next 4 days.

On Good Friday, without having to go into work, I had a nice lay-in. Seems to have recharged the batteries as I felt quite good this morning. I decided to venture out to a part of East Sussex I don’t normally go out to; Bewl Water. On the way, at about 20 miles, I caught up with a contingent of Lewes Wanderers, who were also on their way to Bewl Water. We rode together and had a Tea Stop at there. On the return, as they were heading towards Lewes, once we were on the main road, I split and carried on, on my own, which was far less less interesting than the first part of the journey.

Because of the long ride on Friday and the pre-booked Tour of the Weald on Sunday, I had a rest day on Saturday.

Sunday’s Tour of the Weald started in Staplehurst, Kent on what was probably one of the hottest days of the year. Although not to the scale of the previous events I’ve done (Wiggle, Evans Ride It!), with quite obviously a much reduced budget, it was nevertheless well organised. Registration was quick and once you’ve sorted your bike out, you joined the queue to be set off at 3 minute intervals in groups of about a dozen. Time keeping wasn’t electronic but seemed to work all the same. It may have been problematic if you came in, in a large group but I had no problems.

The feed station was just after the halfway point. Having previously ridden the Wiggle and Evans Ride It! events, where energy drinks are available at the drink stations, I had obviously assumed that this would be the case for this event. Alas, it wasn’t the case here; just water and juice. Fortunately, I had enough in a second bidon with spare energy gels for the rest of the ride.

All in all, I think the organisers did a great job in putting on this event. I was very pleased with my time and seemed to be getting stronger as the miles went on.

179 miles this week with 668 miles since #30daysofbiking started, at the beginning of April.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s